Wednesday, July 26, 2006

fasten your seatbelts...

but first: a new Snickers word. Peanutopolis. Yeah, I want to live there. Especially if as Patrick suggested, it's an underground society run by benevolent dictator Jimmy Carter.

onto movies: I watched Million Dollar Mermaid over the weekend, as Esther Willliams film with choreography by Busby Berkeley. Basically I lament the loss of the sort of spectacle this film provides: ridiculous water ballet, ultrasymmetry, technicolored flames and jets of water and smoke, sparkly things. We can't even remotely take this shit seriously any more. While I'm loathe to talk about so-called "good old days," I do have to wonder what's happened to escapism and does it really have to be replaced with reality tv. Not that I don't love Project Runway, which is reality tv. Makes me miss my sewing days.

Then I watched All About Eve, which was pretty great. It passes the Mo Movie Measure, which is rare enough for a film let alone one made in 1950. Plus Edith Head did the costumes. And it has the quote that's the title of this post, which is one of those great ones I knew not whence it came until now. Plus great performances, and Bette Davis is a stitch. I need to keep chugging ahead with seeing classic movies. Maybe one of these days I'll actually see the damn Godfather.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

M-star - have you seen Philadelphia Story w/ Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, etc.? Super good, although I do not think it passes the "test". I highly recommend. LJQ

1:31 PM  
Blogger Brian Dean Bollman said...

The Godfather is IMDbs number one movie--I've never been able to get through it. I love All About Eve.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home