Friday, July 14, 2006

word nerdery strikes again

update on the asshole upstairs: the nasty note I left him seems to have worked! He hasn't woken me up with his guitar or stereo all week! I pray the solution is permanent. And I say huzzah to the efficacy of leaving a nasty note.

Back to word nerdery: I want to recognize the excellence of Snickers' latest ad campaign. At first I just saw it on those little prisms that sit atop cabs, but I saw a full billboard yesterday on Lombard St. All they've done is taken the Snickers logo and filled it in with neologisms--hungerectomy, nougatocity, satisfectellent, substantialicious. I think these are brilliant. I hadn't realized the Snickers logo was so iconic that I'd recognize it instantly without the word "snickers" in it. I do wonder to whom they're marketing--obviously me and my poet friends because we think they're awesome and hilarious--but does the campaign appeal to people who aren't word lovers? Oddly enough the ad campaign actually makes me want to buy a snickers to prove that an ad campaign can be funny and clever and not take itself too seriously and not have to resort to any of the obnoxious (and dare I say sexist? i'm thinking of you, beer commercials) ploys we see so often. Well, I don't actually see them that often since we have tivo at my house and we just badoop through the stuff.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the Billy Idoling, upstairs- neighbor was just so completely humilitated to know that there was a witness to his ridiculous brand of seduction that he went off the guitar cold-turkey. Brilliant tactic Maliastar! - LJQ

PS: I'd love to know what the content of the nasty note was - just out of curiosity...

7:53 AM  
Blogger chadwick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:58 PM  
Blogger chadwick said...

I was searching for discussions on the snickers campaign and came across your blog--sorry for lurking.

As a bit of word lover, I'm troubled by some of the ads, particularly Satisfectellent (not sure a candy bar should put the letters "fec" so close to a "el" sound)and hungerectomy (sounds rather unpleasant) but there's no denying the beauty of Nougatocity.

As a marketer, I'm in awe of the omnipresence of the ads and the power of the brand imagery.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Malia Jackson said...

chadwick,

thanks for lurking!

you make valid points about the potential ickiness of both satisfectellent and hungerectomy, although i'm not actually bothered by either of those. as someone who pretty much hates how everything is marketed, i'll take potentially disturbing word nerdery over homophobia, sexism, racism (seen the psp ads?), ageism, reinforcement of historical gender roles, etc etc any day of the week.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut Up

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satisfeculent
Substandardlicious
Hung Erect O My
PEaNutopolIS

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home