Friday, June 30, 2006

might as well jump

In all honesty I don't know how I feel about having children. Ambivalent with a capital A. Recently I was really happy to hear someone (who has two children) tell me in a lovely moment of honesty that having kids is an awesome way to live life, and choosing not to have kids is equally awesome, because you lose things and gain things with either choice. It was so refreshing that he hadn't had his brains eaten by the baby zombies who make parents tell everyone how miraculous and life-changing babies are and blah blah blah. Aw, baby zombies. How cute. I'm not sure if I want a baby, but maybe I want a baby zombie.

Anyway, perhaps my unconscious mind is telling me how I really feel. I was just in a coffee shop eating some granola, and I saw this dad dangling what looked like a piece of meat in his baby's face. And the first thought that went through my head was, Should that guy be giving his baby human food?

Or maybe it's my conscious mind telling me how I feel. When I got to work and went to the restroom to find a mother putting her ~8yo daughter in a full-on headlock to either extract something from or insert something into her nose, the first thought that went through my head was, ew.

Sidebar: I was bopping along to Squeeze in the coffee shop this morning, until the music switched to two amazingly incongruous crooner swing jazz covers of "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden and "Jump" by Van Halen. The voice was Sinatraesque though I could tell it was not in fact the Chairman, so I had to look it up. Turns out Paul Anka has an album of swing rock covers, according to wiki. Best quote from that article:

Reportedly, the Michael Jackson song Billie Jean was slated to be on the album in the recording stages, but Paul Anka could not get through a vocal take without bursting into laughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home