Tuesday, January 31, 2006

shuffleboard

Sometimes I listen to my iPod on shuffle, to feebly try to recreate the joy that happens when a DJ plays a song I love. It doesn't really work, because the DJ-as-other is really an essential part of that whole deal. Anyway, as I was coming out of BART, Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" shuffled forth. That song is definitely in my all time top five, although I don't know where it fits. But it's different to listen to something that moves me that much while I'm in transit mode, a mode usually reserved for something groovy and/or mindless or calming. Then I was starting to think about how my experience right then was being painted by the music, and that all of a sudden my life was taking on this filmic quality and I felt detached, and then the next song that got shuffled to me was "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. Talk about killing the moment. I'm the one who said just grab 'em in the biscuits...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home