Saturday, January 14, 2006

International Rubik's Cube Competition

I was this close to registering. But to have to complete the cube five times in front of an audience who wants to see it beat in 11-25 seconds while I'm holding strong at about the 2-3 minute mark...the embarrassment outweighs the coolness, and I use that word in the loosest possible sense, of being able to say I competed in an international rubik's cube competition.

Anyway, it was awesome. A new world record was set (just a hair over 11 seconds), someone solved the cube blindfolded in about 2:09, there was much intensity, several cubes flew into bits during the speed solve. For all the spasticness of the people involved, when they were really in it, there was a very calm sort of focus that was nice to witness. I have great admiration for people whose brains can process all that stuff. I also have great admiration for people who don't behave like assholes when they compete. It makes me want to learn a new algorithm for solving so I can get a bit faster. But that'd be nerdy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home