Thursday, March 02, 2006

go team go

So I'm really glad that Malcolm Gladwell's blogging. I have a big brain crush on his New Yorker essays about ketchup and pitbulls and Ron Popeil. I also love his hair and his Canadianness. And after his announcement today that he's been interviewed on espn.com, I also love that he loves sports.

There's something intriguing to me about the intellectual man who also loves sports. I can't quite pinpoint why. There's something downright snobby about people who eschew sports altogether, as if this thing that ties practically all cultures together is somehow lowbrow. And I don't think it has to do with disliking competition--I'm an extremeley noncompetitive person and I still like sports. I think it's maybe also something that people who like sports a lot are also like people who like music and movies a lot--their brains are filled with various awesomely useless top ten lists and sundry trivia. Those are my kind of people. If you make lists and collect trivia about your passion, as long as it's not about bearbating or cockfighting or something, you're probably my kind of person.

I guess it also has to do with the fact that I like sports. Mostly in the abstract. I had some years of serious card collecting and box score reading in the late eighties/early nineties, but now I'm mostly just a general fan of a good game/match of my choice sports, which mainly include but are not limited to baseball and tennis.

So I guess the point of this is read Malcom Gladwell's blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home